Visiting St James for the first time?
Coming through that door for the first time can be a daunting business but we are here to make your first visit to St James a really good one. We are looking forward to meeting you, giving you a friendly welcome and helping you feel at home. For details of our services please see our Services page.
Here are some of the most frequently asked questions about coming to church for the first time:
- How will I know what to do? Everything you need for the service, including the words of all the hymns and songs, will be provided. We usually use a video screen for the 10.00am Sunday service but hardcopies of the words will be available for those unable to see the screen. We usually stand to sing and sit to pray. We use comfortable individual chairs making it easier to sit in family groups or sit where you feel most comfortable.
- What should I wear? Come in whatever clothes you feel comfortable wearing. Most of our congregation dress fairly casually but there are no hard and fast rules and nobody feels out of place.
- What about the children? We welcome children to all of our services. Our 10.00 am Sunday services are varied and child friendly. Most weeks the children go out for their own group time and once a month we have an all age family service. Please see details in the Church Bulletin. There is a pre-school ‘children’s corner’ which may be used with supervision. Do not worry if the little ones make a noise – we like children and nobody minds!
- What happens afterwards? After the 10.00 am Sunday service refreshments are served and there is time to start getting to know people. If you are new to the church or just visiting please make yourself known. There is a ‘Welcome Pack’ on the notice board at the back of church which gives more information about us and our activities.
- What about disability access? There is level access into the church building and wheelchairs can be placed around the building, wherever the user wants to sit. For hearing aid users there is a hearing loop. At the 10.00 am Sunday service large print orders of service are usually available for those who need them.
- Where can I park? Street parking is available with some parking restrictions. Please bear in mind that the parking restrictions on Market Hill also apply on a Sunday.
- How can I find historical records regarding baptisms, weddings and funerals held at St James Church? Family history is fashionable nowadays and many people both from this country and from all over the world visit the churchyard to see if gravestones still exist with old relatives names thereon. All the surviving parish records of births, marriages and deaths held by St James up to January 2012 have been transferred to the internet on Freereg and Findmypast. For further information and/or to arrange an appointment with our Parish Clerk please contact the Church office on 01926 812413.
- How do I arrange for a baptism, wedding or funeral at St James Church? For further information please look at Life Events pages.